Wednesday, October 10, 2007

Uncle Bud, Camilla Kimball

Yesterday my Uncle Bud passed away. We went to visit him just two months ago (see August 2nd post.) My mom and I felt we needed to go right away, even though we did not know he had cancer until after we returned home. That was pretty much the motivation for the whole vacation, which is why we started in Denver. I am so glad we saw him when we did. He was a WWII veteran. As a nation, we are losing more of them everyday. Here is a link to his obituary.

I was trying to figure out the connection between Camilla Eyring Kimball (Spencer's wife) and Henry B. Eyring so I picked up her biography to figure it out. While thumbing through it, I rediscovered a great quote:

"I have always had an inquiring mind. I am not satisfied just to accept things. I like to follow through and study things out. I learned early to put aside those gospel questions that I could not answer. I had a shelf of things I did not understand, but as I have grown older and studied and prayed and thought about each problem, one by one I have been able to understand them better.

A woman, to be well rounded in her personality, needs many experiences in and out of the home. She needs to be concerned with church, school, and community. If she buries herself inside four walls, she does not reach her potential. She needs to keep growing, to keep aware of the world in which her children are growing. In order to do this, she should be interested in educational advancement and worthwhile endeavors in her community."


I love Camilla.

Here is another:
"I cried almost everyday the first year of our marriage. I wonder now how Spencer ever stood it. He did grow calloused and would say, "Go ahead and cry. You'll feel better when you get through."

I read her book years ago for some YW goal thing because my mother handed it to me, and I remembered I loved it. As I was thumbing through more sections, I decided I am going to reread it. Now that I have had a handful of kids, I could not believe how much more I love her and her honesty, her candor, her down-to-earth tell-it-like-it-is way of writing.

By the way, Henry B. is Camilla's nephew. His dad was her brother. So growing up it was Uncle Spencer and Aunt Camilla.

5 comments:

Lillie said...

Oh Lisa- what a great post. I got chills. I think I need to read her biography. Great women of older times seem so far removed from us sometimes I can't imagine them as crying or just having candor. As I've gotten older, I've realized how human my own grandmothers are/were and I can imagine it would feel similar to read a book like this about Camilla Kimball. Love the quotes.

Kyle said...

I love the quotes as well. I have been looking at old photos of my Great Grandmother where she was like 20 and she doesn't look like a little old lady (obviously!) It's important to remember those that have gone before us. That's neat that you got to see your Uncle Bud before he passed.

Holly said...

You inspire me. I am not always as good at keeping up on the family history aspect of things as much as I should. When I hear stories like this, where you were prompted to visit him just before he passed, it reminds me that they (family) are all there on the other side urging you to remember what is important, and embrace your roots.

Anonymous said...

Your blog keeps getting better and better! Your older articles are not as good as newer ones you have a lot more creativity and originality now keep it up!

Anonymous said...

[url=http://sapresodas.net/][img]http://vioperdosas.net/img-add/euro2.jpg[/img][/url]
[b]shareware software downloads, [url=http://sapresodas.net/]windows vista vs windows xp[/url]
[url=http://vioperdosas.net/]merge emails from outlook to adobe acrobat 9[/url] windows xp updates kaspersky 7
purchase oem software [url=http://vioperdosas.net/]online shops software[/url] banner academic software
[url=http://vioperdosas.net/]bit defender vs kaspersky[/url] filemaker pro 10 torrent
[url=http://vioperdosas.net/]cheap software to buy[/url] free trial software downloads
windows xp upgrade [url=http://vioperdosas.net/]autocad piping flow diagram sample[/url][/b]