Saturday, November 17, 2007

7th week & One Sick Child

On Friday night, Ryan and I went out to Dream Dinners for date night. So far we are not that impressed, but we decided to give it one more chance. We had fun assembling the dinners so we will see.

McKayla has been sick the last four days: bad sore throat, headaches, fever, runny nose. Sounds like a cold. So I treated it like a cold. Unfortunately, it kept getting worse. So after steady digression, I finally took her to the doctor in lieu of her game (her team one 7-0 against a team that has not won at all.) It turned out she has strep throat. Luckily, she should be back to normal once the antibiotics take affect. In the meantime, she is catching up with her friends over the phone, her sleep, and her homework (since she missed three days of school.) So far, no one else shows any sign of symptoms so I think we caught it before it spread.

Mom and McKayla missed the two soccer games. Here is the second hand report:

Madison's team lost. (I'm getting really tired of writing that.) Madison had one assist so that was good. The team only lost by one so that is good (the score was 2-3.) Maya's team lost (I know there are no losers, but when Maya says it, we believe her.) She did not score at all (her first scoreless game) and Grandpa Tom and Grandma Diane were there (for their first time) so she really wanted to do well. Whether it was pressure or an off game or the other team was just superior, they just really had a bad day. Ryan said she took it okay, which I was shocked about because she is always so emotionally involved. When I got home, I asked her how her game went and the flood gates opened. She was bawling as she told me all that went wrong. I just held her while she spilled her guts. Her final beef: she could not decide where we would eat. By the time she was finished, my shirt was covered in tears and snot. At least she felt better.

Ryan and I spent the rest of the day running around running errands: new brakes on the van (Merry Christmas to Ryan & Lisa), filling the prescription, buying the exact snacks Monterey wants to bring for nursery tomorrow (since it will be her last time-as of Jan. she is a sunbeam). We had to say no to the cupcakes and fresh mango-too messy, but she does get the Pirate's Booty. We went swimming and caught up with two friends we hadn't seen for a while. And started the laundry.

We tried the new Chipotle near our house for dinner. We had mixed feelings. There was not really anything for kids. Ryan liked it and is looking forward to heading back ASAP. I thought it was almost all rice, a few beans and an embarrassing small amount of meat. The flavor of my burrito was way too spicy (but not in a good way.) Ryan says the people working there are new and just need to get in the groove. So I will give them one more chance. Madison was unimpressed, but is willing to them another chance also. The rest say no more chances, if we try it again, they will opt for Top Ramen. (I cannot honestly say I that I will change my mind because I like the "peasant Mexican food," nothing hoity-toity. It started in Denver-strike one-it needs to start in a "border"-ing state. It was started by a gringo-strike two-there are plenty of incredible Mexican cooks who have recipes handed down from their abuelas.) The flour tortillas were very good - fresh and thin, the guacamole was tasty and well-flavored. Was your experience different? Let me know what I should order.

8 comments:

Maggie said...

Lisa said: These days with money being the primary motivation for health related issues, patients are forced to become their own advocates.

ain't it the truth! :(

Robbie is raving about Chipotle. we shall see....
and i love your new sidebar bit about our Mama Earth. nature really is soooo amazing! this includes our bodies which i am constantly in awe of. Heavenly Father is very very smart. ;)

Kyle said...

Yeah! Pirate Booty for nursery snack tomorrow. The kids will be so excited. Sorry to hear about McKayla, hope she gets feeling better. About Chipotle, we lived near one when we lived in San Ramon, and I didn't care much for it. When you described what you had, it sounded exactly like my experience. Like you I had decided to give it another chance, however, I never went back! My favorite Mexican restaurant here is that hole in wall by my house, Macario's. I also love Baja Fresh, but I don't know if there is one here in the desert.

Audry said...

So sad when your kids get sick. Strep is not fun. Trent use to eat at Chipotle in Redlands and loved it. I'm not sure about the one in the desert.

Kym said...

I think the Chipotle issue is whether or not you like "REAL" Mexican food. You know I do NOT like real Mexican food. I LOVE Chipotle. (No Macario's for me...sorry Jen) It's gringo Mexican & that's just my style. I've already been three times & loved every single one. You can ask for no rice (which Chris does) or little rice & maybe that will make a difference. I always found there to be plenty of meat, but maybe your new employee didn't have it right yet. Try it again...I really like the salad & rice bowl, too. I thought for sure McK would like it since she isn't a Mexican food fan either. oh well...more for me! :)

Kym said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Chauna said...

So sorry McKayla isn't feeling well...hope she gets better! Sick kids is sooo not fun! Sorry about the games girls...and the snotty shirt Lisa :-) I try to remember Heavenly Father gives those days so I can really appreciate a won game and a CLEAN SHIRT!

Dayna said...

I'm glad McKayla is feeling better! Strep throat is never fun; I can't even count how many times I've had it.

Kimberly said...

Just so everyone knows...the Pirate's Booty is a Nursury favorite!!!! The kids all love it. Where is the new Chipotle? I have been to one once. My sister loves it, but not me so much. I have this horrible habit of comparing those type of places to cafe rio, and lets be honest...none of them measure up!