Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Date Festival

I had never been to a County Fair until the Date Festival. The first time was before we moved here, while visiting Grandpa Tom & Grandma Diane. It seemed an obscure mixture of carnie rides, heart-attack-ready-to-happen foods, and small town displays. Since we moved here, in an attempt to be one of the locals, we have attended every year.
The girls love the rides. I sit there wondering how much inspection was done before they let people ride on it? How much insurance is on it? For some reason, all the people running the rides look like they are on parole. Lots of tattoos. Cigarette smoke on their breathe. Strange looking expressions.

The food. You can get deep-fried anything. The only deep-fried I can totally get into is the funnel cakes. The rest kind of makes me a little sick after a while. Even the corn dogs are a little off - more corn than dog. The bread pan sized curly fires was a little scary. Popcorn and cotton candy are okay. The shaved ice - lets just say that you could tell the water was not filtered, even with the heavy syrup-I could not get past one sip. So why does everyone love it so much? Maybe there is a little bit of white-trash in all of us.

The displays I will concede are actually quite charming. I love seeing the baked goods, quilts, and artwork. There is something about seeing homemade items get attention that is not only old-fashioned, but it is nice to see the fine arts and home arts being honored. It is fun to go around and see if there are any people we know on all the little tags. We always find a few that we know. Later on, it is fun to see them and tell them "Hey, I saw your _____ at the fair!"

The entertainment. I try to pick a night to go where they have someone worth seeing. This year Leann Rimes was on the schedule so, knowing that McK has a love for country, we made that our day. Grandma Diane joined us for the concert, reliving the last time she saw Leann in concert. Leann was quite good and for one brief moment, it felt like we were in a respectable venue.

The crowd. Lots of tattoos. Lots of belt buckles. Lots of people in ill-fitting clothes. Enough normal people to not feel completely out of place.

I guess my biggest problem is I was raised on Disneyland, Knott's Berry Farm, Magic Mountain, The Hollywood Bowl, LA's Farmer's Market, Griffith Park, and Dodger Stadium. Yes, we saw colorful people, but they always felt a little more artsy. The venues were usually clean and the employees looked like nice, normal, clean people. The food appeared to be passable for a health inspector. So I go every year to the Date Festival and try not to compare. I really do love it and I really am not sure why. Like I said before, maybe there is a little white trash in all of us . . . at least in me.

7 comments:

Audry said...

Ahh the Date Festival. I went every year when I was young until about 8 grade then my mom started bribing me. If I didn't go to the fair she would take me to Disneyland instead. Of course I went to Disneyland. We took our kids last year. Glad I don't have to go again.

MnS said...

I've been once and I'll probably keep to that. I've not gone to many fairs in my life and everyone I have gone to I felt I couldn't scrub off the germs. Though the best corn on the cobb I've ever had was at the Cache County Fair.

Jenie said...

I have to admit; I have a little white trash in me too. We went to the Arts Festival and the park on the 4th of July every year in Tooele and Cody would always ask me why we had to go because it does bring out all kinds. I'm a people watcher so it's great entertainment for me. I actually went with Bailey for a field trip on Friday to the Date Festival and had a great time. The ostrich and camel races weren't all that exciting, but we watched baby pigs being born and had fun at the petting zoo and saw the kids' art and watched a great monkey show. Granted, we didn't go on any rides, but along with all of the negative things, there are always some positives so we had a great time. Bailey calls it "quality time" and if the Date Festival is where we are, then the Date Festival it is! Quality time is quality time; it's just fun to be together and I'm sure your kids had a great time! You're a good mom; being a little white trash isn't so bad. :)

Kyle said...

After taking our kids to fairs for years, we just try to ignore their pleas to go. I admire you going and the pictures make it look like a lot fun. I'm a bit tempted. I grew up on Disney too, (and the other places you mentioned) however, we went to Michigan every summer and I got to camp at the fair with my 4-H cousins. It makes for some wonderful childhood memories!!!

Dayna said...

I love funnel cakes, anywhere that has them is worth going to. It sounds like it was fun; especially since I like Leanne Ryhmes. As a past Carni; the rides are a lot safer than you would think, but I still wouldn't go on the one that goes round and round in a circle.

Holly said...

You got to enjoy many more of the local festivities then we did since we went on a school night just to race the boys pinewood derby cars. Your girls really are lucky to have you!...I don't know where you get your constant flow of unearthly energy. It is almost eery!! :)

Lillie said...

You guys are always up to something fun-- those girls are lucky. We went to the Date Festival last year---- I think it was a one time thing for us.:)

But that's not to say I don't have some of that WT in me... I'm ALL about corn dogs and funnel cake.