Monday, March 24, 2008

Santa Barbara





The number one spot on the whole earth that I would want to live is Santa Barbara. Ever since I was a little girl I have loved the weather, the beaches, the architecture, the history, the views. Ryan is so sick of hearing this, but I just love it. So spending time there for spring break was a chance to convince my children that mommy is always right. A few reasons I love it is their strict codes on building. Most of their buildings have have a Spanish white-wall, red-roof look. The rest are in a Victorian style. There are no commercial-looking restaurants or stores; they all have to blend. Lots of trees. Just look at their average temperature! Santa Barbara has mountains and beaches. It has an adorable zoo and a great university (UCSB,) lots of performing arts and botanical gardens. It is a tight knit community and is not too touristy because it is just far enough out that it is too far for a typical tourist and without major amusements (like Sea World or Legoland) it manages to avoid being a major tourist draw. In other words, it is just the right size for me, gets me on the beach, and is still close enough to LA. Do I ask too much?
We ate lunch at Pascucci, a quaint little Italian place where the garlic slaps you in the face when you walk in. (That's how I know it is good.) Garlic bread, salads, and shrimp for the adults and pizza for the little ones. Pascucci is in Paseo Nuevo which is an outdoor shopping mall that runs through the downtown area. Madison brought her money and was ready to shop.

We decided to take the 90 minute trolley tour. Whenever I go, I usually go to the same old places: beach, zoo, UCSB, Sandpiper golf course (Ryan played there a few times when he was on his college golf team) so I figured we could see a wider view. Even though I have been through it this was my first guided tour. It was fun to ride on the trolley and see all the bea-u-ti-ful neighborhoods. The little ones loved riding on a outdoor trolley, but they were wearing flip-flops and I had to keep checking to make sure they were wearing them and had not lost them somewhere on the streets. We stopped at the Santa Barbara mission. It is one of the few working missions and they still had all the Easter regalia up. It is way up on a hill with a rose garden and beautiful views of the city.

The beach was great. The water was too cold to go in but the temperature was perfect so we decided to rent a bike for seven and ride around beach front and pier. Monterey, my sister Karen and I were the only ones brave enough to go in. It was not bad for So Cal water (which is naturally colder than most beaches because of our exceedingly steep underwater coastline.) [By the way, the only science course that I ever got an A in, in college or high school, was oceanography. So I feel like I am an expert. But don't put me next to anyone who really knows anything.]

We rented a bike for seven. The little ones loved the bike, mainly because they got to sit up front, did not have to pedal, wore cute helmets, and got to ring the bell. The rest of us had to work hard. We had lots of laughs. Afterwards, we went to the fisHouse for some lemonade and clam chowder.

9 comments:

Holly said...

A bike for seven...That is the coolest thing!! I also love that the kids got to enjoy a trolley ride. There is something so "real-vacacation", and almost European tourist-like about trollies. Next time I want to be smacked in the face by garlic, and have some real embiance (spelling?) I know where to go!

Audry said...

Love the bike. It sounds like you guys had a great time. It is so beautiful.

koko bean..... said...

That is the coolest bike EVER....Looks like you had a great time. I would have loved to get away to better weather but no such luck. Mitch went to school in Santa Barbara. He loved it there to.I want to ride a bike like that no lie.

Kodi said...

I think I definitely need to visit. . . looks amazing. I too think a bike for seven is very fun! Glad you guys had a great time!

Chauna said...

That looks like so much fun! You always seem to have the greatest times with your girls that they will remember for a lifetime...and even though everyone has already said it I have to say that bike is sooo cool, and Maya and Monterey look like they are having a blast!

Taryn said...

When I hear Santa Barbara I think of the old soap opera my mom used to watch.:) You are so good to take your little ones to fun places like that. I would be to stressed out. I think my next vacation needs to be to Santa Barbera. The little scandivian? town looks good enough to eat!

Jen said...

My family loves Solvang too! It is a really fun place!

The Queen said...

I love SB, too! You girls are so cute!!

The Queen said...

P.S. I wanted to do one of those bikes last time we were there but Loi wouldn't let me!