Thursday, May 1, 2008

10 things that made me happy today. . .

These are in no particular order.

1. I cleaned the microwave. This has been on my list for TWO WEEKS! Either because I was sick, or just not in the mood, I kept putting it off. Here is the after. The before is too scary. It felt good to finally get it done.

2. Cliff Mojo Bars. The mountain mix is my favorite because it has just enough chocolate for me to consider it a treat. These are full of real things like seeds and nuts.


3.Making the plans to go the the temple this Saturday with my nephew. Jayme is preparing to go on his mission and this will be his first time. This is my first nephew to go through the temple. I have been on the phone with my sister (his mom) and my mom trying to coordinate. We will be meeting at the LA Temple for the 5:30 session. I'll bring extra tissues for us.

4. Taking care of this baby. Can you believe this incredible smile? My girls love pretending they have a little brother. It kind of gets it out of their system. Maya thinks she is doing all the work.


5. Reaching a point in a book when you "can't put it down." I am (re)reading "The Hiding Place" by Corrie Ten Boom for the book group. I keep it in the car and now I am leaving for everything ten minutes early so I can get extra reading time in while I wait for the girls. I even know what happens in the book, but because I do not remember exactly when it happens, I am in suspense.

6. Maya in the school talent show. She got up in front of a huge crowd (60+) and danced to the Hairspray song The New Girl in Town. Everyone loved her. I love that she is fearless. It makes me happy to watch her dance because she has so many moves. (Monterey chickened out and opted out of the performance.)

7. Soup. I really love soup. I think that is one of my issues with the desert. The lack of days that are "soup" days. Today I had Chicken Tortilla from Fresh & Easy. I love making soup too, but then I really do need cool weather.

8. Maya informing me that she will be a much better mom than I am. It pleases me that my children will do a better job than me. If every generation improves, eventually my descendants will be perfect mothers. By the way, her criteria for judging is based upon the idea that she will take her children to Chuck E. Cheese for lunch and dinner everyday.

9. Preparing the Gospel Doctrine lesson. This would not normally make my "happy list," but this week's lesson is on Mosiah 4. This is my favorite chapter in all the scriptures. I love reading it and talking about it. I have seriously looked forward to teaching this chapter more than any other in my (almost) two years of teaching. Now let's all hope I can do a decent job with it.

10. Being tagged with this blogging game. It is always a good exercise for me to sit down and think about things that make me happy or things that I am grateful for. Days can just blur together when you don't take the time to reflect. Even though I know this, it is too easy to forget, so I appreciate an opportunity to take a breather and reflect.

I tag anyone who needs to take a moment to reflect on the simple and mundane that add up to a happy life, if we pause and enjoy it.

7 comments:

Chauna said...

Thanks for the pick me up! Your writing always seems to make me smile and I feel like I can "hear your voice" as I read (and insert your great laugh where appropriate!) and I love that!

Kyle said...

Happy Birthday, by the way. I haven't had the energy to comment lately, but I have read all your posts, I love reading them all. I wish I could've seen Maya doing the dance, how funny.

Holly said...

Thanks for being a good sport. Your happy list made me happy :). -I am also enjoying the Hiding Place; even more than I expected to. HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!

Dayna said...

I love finding out what makes people happy. Good job Maya, on the talent show! I bet she was adorable up there!

Jenie said...

I absolutely love reading your blog. You have some of the most insightful posts and you really have a way with words. I've been a little out of the loop, but it's been fun to catch up with everyone and I loved your birthday blog. What a fun way to spend your birthday. I think I'm going to do something like that next year...we usually do something all together, but I'm going to make a special point of making a great memory together. I hope your kids know how lucky they are to have such a wonderful mom...I'm trying to learn from you!

Shannan said...

Thanks for this post. I love the reminders that help put things into perspective. Sometimes it really is the little things that make us happy and help us get through each day. Thanks for all you thoughts!

Kimberly said...

I loved your last post about your birthday! Happy Birthday...what a fun weekend! We really should be best friends because everything you did was exactly what I would've done. I am so sad:( I totally forgot the "talent show" day at preschool...Brooklyn came home and said "mom, I couldn't sing my enchanted song, you forgot it" my heart just broke! I can totally picture Maya bursting out in that hairspray song...tooo cute!