Thursday, July 31, 2008

Anniversary Trip: Monterey

We do not always do something special for our anniversaries. But every five years (5th, 10th, etc.) we do try to do something really special. Five years ago, I had just had Maya. We went to my favorite restaurant in LA Nick & Steph's and went to see The Producers. Ten years ago we were at BYU taking classes, I was pregnant with Madison and puking up a storm. We were at our poorest point EVER. So maybe the every five years theory doesn't exactly work. But, I am rambling. We were really going to celebrate the 15th!

ON our actual anniversary, Ryan was in his MBA class so we waited for the weekend to celebrate. McK would be at Girls' Camp for the week and so she spent a couple days with the Lowell family and then left for camp. The other cherubs were taken to my mom's house for a week of fun and frolic with grandma, two aunts, and three cousins.

Ryan planned every little detail. He gave me two chunks of time to do something I wanted, but everything else was his brainchild.

We left early and headed straight to The French Laundry. That got its own post. (see below) Ryan had to go change into his formal attire so I went over to check out the Bakery and Bistro of the owner and chef, Thomas Keller. Lines were long.

After our most glorious meal, (see below) we went to check in at our hotel: the Embassy Suites. I know, I know: it is NOT a Marriott. We felt like we were being unfaithful. But we had scads of Hilton points that needed to be used (or we would lose them) so we ended up getting a beautiful corner suite with two ocean views completely covered by points. Translation: completely free. Woo Hoo! This gave license to Ryan to force me to do expensive things because he could always say that the hotel was covered.

We immediately headed out to Pebble Beach. Now at the risk of sounding sacrilegious, this is Ryan's place of worship. Don't worry, he is still worshipping God, just the God who created Pebble Beach. (I prefer to think of the natural state and not the man-made course and facilities, lest he is worshipping the designers.) We ate dinner at the Tap Room at the Lodge. (The dessert is features in the 7/24 post.)

Since this was my anniversary too, Ryan allowed me to have a little input in our activities. I told him I wanted to go to the National Steinbeck Center in Salinas. Okay, maybe this is why he doesn't give me a lot of input. But John Steinbeck is my favorite American novelist (sorry John, but two Russians stand in front of you for the number one and two spots.) And since he used so much of his own experience in his writing, I wanted to go and see his inspiration. I loved every moment and when Ryan saw that he earned the Nobel Prize for Literature AND was voted the number one American author of all time, he thought that maybe he would actually like to read some of his "stuff." My favorite (American) novel is East of Eden and in that book, he used several of his own family members as characters. I loved it. It was very interactive and a worthy showcase of his body of work. It is a Smithsonian partner, so I'm sure that is why it is well done.

Now off to Monterey: Cannery Row. We ate, we shopped. As we walked around, Ryan, all the sudden, noticed that everything was John Steinbeck this or John Steinbeck that. Ryan bought some stuff at the Pebble Beach store (their version of an outlet, I think.)

We went to the Monterey Bay Aquarium and were in absolute wonder of the amazing sealife we saw. The jelly fish were amazing, probably our favorite part. It was a little chilly: translation, we were in heaven. Being in the desert, we relish opportunities to feel a chill, wear a sweatshirt, experience a drizzle, appreciate an overcast day.

We went back to the hotel, took a swim and went to Chili's for dinner.

The next morning, we headed out for a Pebble Beach Day. First stop: the Spa. Ryan had to talk me into going. Then he had to talk me into leaving. He needed to relax. With a high pressure job, the bishopric calling, a full-time MBA program, and four girls who love him dearly and clamor for his attention; the only way he can relax is to schedule it. He got a 50 minute massage and then a 25 minute foot therapy. I had the salt scrub. What I really loved was just hanging out in the facilities: the serenity room: no talking allowed. (We need a serenity room in our house.) We swam together and then went to separate places to enjoy our treatments, jacuzzis, saunas, aromatherapy, showers, etc. Three hours later we emerged relaxed.

For lunch we went to the Pebble Beach Market and got sandwiches, chips, and drinks for a picnic overlooking the beautiful views.

We did the Seventeen Mile Drive, with a few detours of Ryan's favorite golf holes. As the supportive wife of the man who endured Steinbeck with me, I oohed and aahed at the appropriate times. I love Seventeen Mile Drive. I love the cypress trees, the rugged terrain, the beaches. Ryan loves the golf courses and views over the ocean. We absolutely agree that that is where we would live if money were no object.

We headed over to Spanish Bay Inn for a walk and dinner. There are fire pits and beautiful views of the course. They have a Roy's which is my favorite seafood restaurant. We orders the Tiger Prawn and Beef Springrolls for a starter and then moved to the patio for dinner.

Ryan explained to me that a bagpiper was going to be coming around sunset from the beach. Okay, yeah, whatever. I was not quite getting why a bagpiper would be at Spanish Bay. But as we enjoyed our meal and as the fog started coming in, the music started faintly coming from the beach and made its way up to the patio. Now I got it: it looks like Scotland. The course is patterned after the Scottish links style (no trees, natural type habitat) and we were transported to Scotland in that instant. So cool.

Here is my butterfish. [Me: "My name is Lisa and I am a butterfish addict." Everyone else in the room: "Hello Lisa."]
I wish I could order something else from this menu (not really) but it is so good that I can't do it.

They had us wear leis in celebration of our anniversary and printed out a special menu with our names on it to commemorate the occasion. And of course, we got our beautiful dessert. (That's three for anyone keeping track.)

The next morning we went to Carmel-by-the-Sea. Now I don't know the exact difference between Carmel and Carmel-by-the-Sea, except that it sounds more hoity-toity so they can probably charge more for real estate. We checked out a couple of shops and then headed for the beach. The beach. The beach. THE BEACH. This ranks as one of the most beautiful beaches I have ever seen. The sand was like baby powder and soft, soft, soft, white, white, white. The views were incredible. Oh yeah, it looks right over Pebble Beach Golf holes #9 and 10. So Ryan, who originally was not that keen to get sand all over everything, all the sudden has to show me golf again. He shows me his favorite house. And here it is. As he points to the house that he promises me he will buy me someday. Overlooking a great golf hole and the most beautiful beach ever. I am madly in love.

In the afternoon, with all of Ryan's agenda taken care of, he again allows me to choose an activity. Whale Watching! Now if the Steinbeck didn't convince him to not give me any say, the Whale Watching did the job. But he was a trooper. We went out at 2:00 and a few minutes out of the harbor, it became obvious that this was not going to be a pleasure cruise. "The sea was angry that day, my friends." I don't get sea sick. I love the rouge waves. The waves that make me feel like I am on a roller coaster. I held on and started with my woo hoo's of excitement. There were other people who did not like it. A few hurled off the side of the boat, A few hurled off the back of the boat. One hurled on the boat, right next to us. At this point Ryan is not happy and, to paraphrase, asked me: "Why the #%$ we went on this &%$@ boat?" I know in my heart the only thing that kept him from losing it, was knowing that I would have taken the picture and put it on the blog. He told me this when we got off the boat and I validated that I was almost disappointed that he didn't feed the fishes because I would have done exactly that.

But the whales. The dolphins. I loved seeing them come up. We saw a Humpback mother and her calf come up and go down a dozen times. Sea World is great. (I love Sea World!) But I really love watching sea life out in the open ocean. I tried to explain that we were so lucky to be in a location of whale migration. Loved it.


Here is a pirate boat with the full sails.



And that pier over there is where it all happened 15 years ago when Ryan asked me to marry him and I said yes.

5 comments:

Audry said...

We took to kids to Carmel and Monterey. We had a great time, but I want to go back with just Trent. Reading your blog just solidifies it. Sound like a great romantic weekend.

Tara said...

I'm plotting in my mind of how I can convince Jon to take me there for OUR 15 year anniversary. What a GREAT get-away! Love the THREE HOURS at the spa, the beaches, the relaxing, the yummy food...and while I LOVE the idea of whale watching, I'd have to take too much dramimene to enjoy it...bummer. (And I agree that while Sea World is really cool, seeing something in their natural habitat is something totally different!)
HAPPY ANNIVERSARY!

Kyle said...

I love the Monterey Bay Aquarium. The Jelly fish exhibit is so amazing. I love the music they play in there and they way it's kind of dark. I keep hearing about that Butterfish, was it at Roy's? Maybe I'll have to go there sometime...

the organic kitchen said...

Wow what fun! Great trip. We celebrated our 28th anniversary June 28th. I don't even know what we did???? Maybe nothing....~ Linda

The Queen said...

Aww, so cute. We went to Carmel in July. I love it there.