Tuesday, March 17, 2009

March Miscelanii

We started the month with the joyous arrival of a new cousin: Gwenyth. Miraculously born on her due date, even. We love adding new cousins and this is our first girl Caress cousin. Sweetie Pie Baby Gwen.

Madison and McKayla and McKayla's friend, Elly went paint balling. Apparently, there is great joy in getting messy, so much so that being hit over and over again with little pellets of paint is actually fun. We love Elly and we always have many giggles together. Even a little side trip to Jack-in-the-Box was totally fun.

Here is our St. Patrick's Day breakfast. Madison made breakfast: green eggs, shamrock shaped toast and Lucky Charms. Notice she even used green dishes? Madison is a pro.

We also had corned beef and cabbage and Irish soda bread with mint brownies (that was just for the green.) I had put the corned beef in the crock pot in the wee hours of the morning. By lunch time, the girls wanted to eat some. No problem, we have plenty. I put cabbage in and made some soda bread and they chowed down. Apparently the crock pot is a great place to cook it, because before we knew it, it was gone. G-O-N-E, gone. I felt really bad because Ryan loves corned beef sandwiches and he saw me cooking it so he would be anticipating it all day long. And come home to nothing. Not good. Ryan's moods are largely dictated by what is in his tummy. I had six hours to fix the problem. Plenty of time to cook a new corned beef.

Off to the store. La-la-la-la-la ... doing my shopping ... la-la-la-la-la. How peculiar. No corned beef. Lisa: "Do you have anymore corned beef?" Butcher: "Nope, we are all sold out." You gotta be kiddin' me.

Next store: repeat.

One last store: repeat.

(It turned out Costco had them, but I only found that out two days later.) Apparently, here in the desert, corned beef is really popular AND by that time I only had two hours until dinner time. Okay, so now I have to figure out how to break Ryan's heart. He took it like a man. He was actually happy that at least the girls like it so the chances of me cooking it again went much higher.

Chinese was quite yummy and there were no crowds.

1 comment:

Amy G said...

What a good sport Ryan is... Sounds like something that would happen in our home! And I know what you mean about how happy a man is by what served at dinner time! :)