Thursday, April 23, 2009

My Birthday 2009

As out tradition the last three years, we went to Newport for my birthday. Each and everything we do it becoming tradition, so this may seem like a repeat of last year's post.

We checked into our "associate rate" room at the Newport Coast Villas. If Ryan ever leaves Marriott, it will be a major letdown ... as in we will probably never travel like this again. That was a birthday present enough for me.

We always start out with a major league baseball game. This year it was Angels instead of the Dodgers and it was so traumatic that I had to give it it's own post. That was a birthday present enough for me.

The next morning we swam and shopped and enjoyed cupcakes and gelato at our favorite shopping center. We shopped at Sur le Table for a few kitchen items that we absolutely cannot live without. (We finally got a meat thermometer and when we BBQ'd we had meat done just the way we wanted. It truly changed our lives. No more guessing. I like my meat bloody and it is always overcooked. This time, I had it just right and everyone else had it the way they liked it. Whoo Hoo.) That was a birthday present enough for me.

We went back and enjoyed a nap with all the windows and doors open to enjoy the views and the cool ocean breezes. That was a birthday present enough for me.

That night, we went to go see our dear friend Kirsti perform in the lead role as the narrator in Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat. This is one of our favorites (it IS Ryan's favorite) and we felt that the two smallest girls would enjoy it, being their first live, Broadway show. They are familiar with the musical (thanks to the Donny Osmond DVD) and it is considerably shorter than most musicals. Kirsti is awesome and even got us tickets in the second row. She was awesome, as always. I could seriously listen to her sing all day, everyday. Her two daughters were in the children's chorus and also danced. That was a birthday present enough for me.

The next morning we went to our traditional Beachcomber breakfast. Yummy food and the quaintest setting on the beach. A beautiful brisk walk down the hill. Star Beignets for sharing. A little frolicking on the beach afterwards. A nice shuttle ride back up the hill listening to music from the 40's. That was a birthday present enough for me.

More swimming and then coming back home, back to reality. Back to laundry. Back to dishes. Holding on to the memories, the laughter, the smiles, my perfect birthday.

No comments: