Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Monterey Turned Five

Monterey turned five - that is the whole hand. What a grand adventure it has been. She is a wonderful child, but definitely has her own way of doing things.

For her birthday dinner she wanted Kraft Mac & Cheese and Uncrustables. I took over the menu: Tri-Tip, roasted potatoes, asparagus, zucchini, rolls, peaches, mango, cantaloupe, grapes, and salad. She enjoys cake so, unlike her sisters, we got to indulge. She loves fruit-flavored cakes and one of her favorite flavors is pina-colada. I decided to incorporate both the pineapple upside-down cake and a layer cake together. The frosting was coconut-pineapple. Here is Monterey in the dress-up clothes that Grandma Diane gave her for her birthday.

All About Monterey

What is Montereys favorite movie? Mamma Mia

Who is Montereys favorite princess? Ariel

What does Monterey like best about school? recess

Do you like Montereys hair short or long? short

Where does Monterey want to go on vacation next year? Monterey

What is Montereys favorite restaurant? Souplantation

What ride will Monterey go on first tomorrow at Disneyland? The Nemo Submarines

What is Montereys favorite primary song? I Am a Child of God

Where does Monterey like to sleep? with Mom and Dad

What do you like best about Monterey?

Grandpa Tom: her smile. Meagan: fun personality, spunky, great amount of energy. Maya: she is my sister and she is so cute and I love her. Mom: her sense of humor, determination, self-confidence, and she loves to be my baby. Madison: attitude and sassiness. McKayla: her outgoingness, her sassiness, pretty, always tells me the truth. Matt: bluntness, toughness, independent, talks to anyone. Grandma Diane: her husky voice, her being a twin with Maya, being happy and enthusiastic about everything. Dad: she is my baby.


The Disneyland trip ... I expected it to be very similar to Maya's. Since they are only a year apart. I could not have been more wrong. One advantage of taking each girl on their own is that I get to really get to know them. So many times I know their personalities in relation to how they interact with each other. Because of Maya and Monterey's closeness in age, they are very close to behaving like twins. They have very distinct personalities, mind you, but, the differences really shown through when I had them each alone.


Both Madison and Maya ate McDonald's breakfast on the way so she made sure she got hers as well. She took a little nap on the way. When we got there and went to get her ticket, she told me she did not want to wear her button. I told her she had to. You cannot give this child options if you want her to listen.


Monterey wanted to go on the Nemo Submarines first. As we went by Buzz, we could see the line was non-existent so we hoped on that first. She loved it. Surprisingly, her score was not too shabby.


Next was the submarines. She was concerned that she would get wet. I assured her that she would not. When we got in she was excited. The ride started and she bought into the whole diving concept. She was momentarily convinced that it was all real. Then the Nemo part started. "Mom, this is just a movie." She was disappointed, but still enjoyed it.


Next we headed to the Autopia. I told her that she would be driving and I would control the gas pedal.

Monterey: What are you talking about? I'm just a kid. Do you want to die?

Mom: No. Look, other little kids are doing it. You can do it.

Monterey: No I can't. There is no way I'm gonna drive a car.

The Disney employee handed us our driver's license.

Mom: See, they know you can do it or they wouldn't have given you a license.

Monterey: Mom (long pause) I don't like this. I am not gonna do it.

Mom: Look at all those kids. If they can do it, so can you.

She watched intently while we moved in the line.

Monterey: Okay, but mom, if I start going off a cliff, you have to grab the wheel.

Mom: You got it.

She was so intent. She paid attentive to every little curve and was so happy when we got off the ride without any accidents.

We went on Star Tours next. As we walked through the ride, Monterey was excited to really see R2D2 and C3PO. She asked me if we were really going to travel in space. I told her yes. She was awesome. She believed it all and was in sheer glee as we went into light speed and then crashed through the ice comet and then destroyed the Death Star and the bad guys. As we got off, she was jumping up and down. "You are the bestest mommy and Disneyland is the bestest ever. I can't believe we flew through space and we destroyed the bad guys and I just can't believe I went in space. Disneyland is so awesome 'cause you can fly in space. I can't believe I just did that." Everyone around us thought she was so dang cute. She was.

Our next ride was Small World. She loved it. We ran into the Johassons who happened to get on the same boat as us. Such a Small World. Sorry I couldn't resist the pun.

After that, we had moments of schizophrenia: "I want to wait in line to meet the princesses." It was an hour wait. After 10 minutes "I want to go to Toontown." We head toward Toontown. Almost there, "I want to go back to Buzz." Okay. Never mind this "whatever you want day." I had to take over.

Mom: Do you want the Teacups?
Here we go. She had tons of fun with giggles.
Monterey: Mom, why we sit in the tea cup?
Mom: 'Cause it's fun.
Monterey: Why do we spin?
Mom: It's like being the spoon in the teacup when someone stirs it.
Monterey: Okay.

Mom: Do you want Dumbo?
Monterey: No
Mom: Do you want the Carousel?
Let's go. She loved it.

Mom: How about Pinocchio right over here?
As soon as we get off the ride ...
Monterey: You know mom, that wasn't the real Pinocchio. It wasn't even real.
Mom: You are right, but it was fun, right?
Monterey: Whatever.

Mom: Do you want to go on Snow White?
Monterey: Yes!
Snotty Teenage girl in line: This ride is too scary for her.
Mom: Have you ever seen this girl kill a cricket? I think she can handle it.
As soon as we get off the ride ...
Monterey: That was not even real.
Mom: I know, but did you like it?
Monterey: It would have been better if it was real.
Mom: You are probably right. Can we eat? I'm getting hungry.
Monterey: I want another ride.
Mom: How about Pirates?

We head over to Pirates. Once on the boat ...
Monterey: Why is this going so slow?
Mom: It will speed up in a minute.
She loved going down. Once we get off ...
Monterey: Mom, those pirates weren't real.
Mom: I know. But it was still fun right?
Monterey: I just wish there was more real stuff.

We finally ate lunch. We ate at one of the French Quarter restaurants with live music. She loved the live music and wanted to stay longer. She danced and grooved while she ate. They sang Happy Birthday to her. She commented that the musicains were really good. We had to stay and listen until the musicains went on a break. What can I say? The girl loves New Orleans jazz music.

Next we headed to the Pooh Bear ride. She enjoyed it, but can you guess the conversation we had afterward? That's right, Pooh Bear was not real on that ride either.

Well, I was sick of the pretense of it all. Honey-child, you want real? You are going to get it. We headed straight for the Canoes. She got outfitted in a lifejacket, equipped with an oar, and climbed aboard the Pocahontes Express (I added the name so it would feel more princessy.) We rowed and rowed. It was fun and she worked the whole time, taking it very seriously. She did not like the girl in front of her who was having trouble rowing without splashing her. But hey, we were keeping it real.

Next stop, The Haunted Mansion. She asked if there were really ghosts in there and I told her yes. At first, the darkness and atmosphere were kind of freaking her out. About halfway through, she figured out it wasn't real. She did like the hitchhiking ghost even if it wasn't real.

She wanted to go on Pirates again. While we were waiting, we were talking.
Mom: Are you having fun?
Monterey: That is the stupidest question I ever heard. This is Disneyland, Duh! Of course I'm having a good time.
Mom: You don't have to insult me just because I am concerned about your happiness. You could just give me a simple answer.
Monterey: (while pausing and staring me down) Then don't ask stupid questions.

We enjoyed the Tikiroom. She believed the birds were real.

She was dying to go on Peter Pan. By the way, in case you were in suspense, she explained how it wasn't real.

We went to meet the Fairies. Monterey was excited to meet the Light Fairy and Tinkerbell. They had a nice little visit and discussed her birthday and how much they were alike. You know: sassy and occassionally naughty but always super sweet and fun.

Afterwards we went to the Fairy Souvenier Kiosk where Monterey picked out a baby version of Tinkerbell and a wreath for her hair. As soon as I paid for it, I asked her what she wanted to do next. Her response? Go home. So basically, we would have left a few hours earlier if we had got the stuff sooner.

On our way down Main Street, the Disneyland Band was parading right behind us. Monterey wanted to listen and watch. They surrounded the flag pole and played patriotic music. One thing they did, which I have never seen before, was they played the songs from all the branches of the military and invited members of the audience to come up as their song was played. So first they played the Army song and three men came out of the audience and took their place around the flag pole. They continued with the Marines, the Navy, the Coast Guard, and then the Air Force. Each time someone came out and took their place. It was really cool and of course, true to form, I got all teary.

Monterey fell asleep before we got on the freeway.

So what did I learn? Monterey is totally into reality-based entertainment. She is brutally honest. She is sassy. She loves live music. Monterey is her own person. She makes me laugh. She can be frustrating, but always comes back with something semi-reasonable. She is stuck in a five-year-old's body with the spirit of a fifteen-year old's mouth. She is a joy. She really does have an amazing imagination. She is always playing and making up stories and songs.

6 comments:

Rachelle@atticgals.blogspot.com said...

Oooh, that cake looks mouthwatering!!! Lucky girl!

Happy B-day Monterey!

Kimberly said...

She is a little ball of fire! I better remember to never ask her any "stupid" questions (that was a crack-up!)

Lisa P said...

Thank goodness Star Tours was there to keep it REAL! Loved seeing Disneyland through Monterey's eyes--I never get to do any of the fun things anymore, it's all about thrills with my kids.

D3AB said...

Loved this post! What a fun day and what a cool, sassy girl! We need those now a days!

Elva said...

She is UNIQUE!!!! and funny of course!!!

Audry said...

Disneyland is the best place to celebrate a birthday!