Saturday, March 13, 2010

Picky or Extremely Loyal?

Several years ago I found an awesome watch. I passed it up because I thought I would see it again. I thought about it almost daily with regret. I had seen it in Taiwan, in a night market. Because I was new to the island, I thought they would be all over. I was wrong. My parents picked me up at the end of my mission and we traveled through Asia: Taiwan, Hong Kong, Mainland China, Thailand, Singapore, Korea, and then home via Hawaii. While in Singapore, I found the watch and I bought it. My treasure. My love.

I wore it everyday. I wore out the leather strap and got a new one. I loved my watch.

One day, for a reason I don't remember, I took it off. I carried it around in my pocket, since I could not wear it. (Maybe I had hurt my wrist and it was swollen or I was wearing something else for something important.) At the end of the day I went to check the time and it was gone. I retraced all my steps and frantically came to the conclusion that someone must have picked it up. I checked lost and found daily for a week and then every week for the rest of the year. I was distraught. It was gone. Someone had picked it up and loved it and kept it. Who could blame them?

I have never found a watch to replace it. Nothing else appeals to me. Therefore, I do not wear a watch. I was in this mind-set when I met Ryan. He has tried diligently to get me to wear a watch. In fact, it drives him crazy. It drives him nuts that I always have to ask him for the time. He is constantly looking for a watch that I approve of. Nothing appeals to me. Even when I have tried, the new watch ends up in my jewelry bag where it sits and sits. Nothing looks right on my wrist. This has gone on for 17 years.

Picky? Fiercely loyal to an inanimate object? I don't think it is because I am picky. It is not that I only want a certain style or brand or color or look or designer or etc. I want my watch. The one I loved. I feel cheap and dirty when I wear something else. I think I am just loyal to that watch ... the love of my life. I am not picky, I am crazy. But I can't help it. I truly have no desire to wear any other watch as long as I live. I would be willing to get one that looked just like it. I have googled my brains out. In this day of the Internet, you would think I would be able to find one. Nothing. Nada. Zip.

This one is close, but not really. Fine silver triangular keyless massonic watch. C. Two piece triangular, the bezel repoussé with the Union chain, and different massonic symbols, the back, with the Massonic temple and further symbols. D. Mat silver with the different massonic symbols in place of numerals. GiIt brass) massonic hands. M.10—, rhodium plated, decoration, 15 jewels, straight line lever escapement, monometallic balance, Breguet self compensated balance spring. In very good condition. Dim. 49 x 54 mm.

(It sold for more than $3500.)

Mine was not nearly as expensive. It was not solely masonic, but showed a very rare belief in the bridge between Masonry and Taoism, a connection that is so ancient, it is amazing. It had different shapes (square, circle, triangles) that also aligned it with symbols universally used by Jews, Muslims, and in our Mormon Temples. It was kind of like the coming together of all truths. Showing how all religions have truth and similar strains. It was extremely deep for a simple little watch.

So can you see why I loved it so?

Ryan HATES that I cannot get over losing this watch and that I refuse to wear one in protest of not having it. I cannot blame him. I fully concede that I am off my rocker on this one. But I need to find it. I obviously need to go back to either Singapore or Taiwan and search.

So ... I also have issues with purses. I cannot find the perfect purse. Too big, too small, needs to hang just right, hold all my stuff but in places that I can find them instead of just being a mass of all my junk going into a giant black hole. Since I carried diaper bags for years, I kind of just used that. I also use my brocket (I got that name from the Bugg women.) You know, keys, a little money, a lipstick: all stored in the bra. I never miss a call when my phone is on vibrate. As far as purse are concerned: I look, I buy, I use, I am disappointed, I cast it aside.

Methinks I have some major psychological problems with accessories.

And then I saw it. The perfect purse. It is large, but not a duffel bag (tried that one.) It has a strap long enough to wear over my shoulder but not so long that I couldn't carry it in my hand. It is feminine, yet edgy. It could pass as fancy and casual. I can get everything in it, but would not lose everything in the process.

Guess what I want for my birthday? Of course, it around $800.00. I am currently scouring the Internet for a cheap(er) knock-off.

This purse speaks to me. It literally sang to me. Maybe it was just that I was listening to my ipod at the time, but I felt a connection between me and that purse. I know we would bond and that I could never love another like I love it. I will post a pic as soon as I can.

7 comments:

Jennifer said...

You are so funny Lisa! I love this post! It definitely makes sense how you feel! I have trouble with watches and purses too... although I've never had the perfect watch... if I did, I'd be just as distraught to have lost it! I have to say that the brocket is hilarious! Unfortunataly there is really no way I could do that! I just bought a lunch cooler to carry my new camera around in because the huge camera bag drives me crazy... the cute new lunch cooler is not quite the right fit... argggg....

Rachelle@atticgals.blogspot.com said...

A tragic tale. Hope the purse story has a happy ending.

I love watches. I love purses. I have a ton of both. But alas, my sorrow lies in the fact that I can wear but one watch and purse at a time.

Dixie said...

Dear Lisa,

You sure like things that cost a lot of money. I will send you $50.00 for your birthday, so save up.
Maybe by the time your collect Social Security you can afford your stuff!! Poor Ryan, he has to put up with all your non-real problems.

Love, Mother

LoveRuby said...

Firstly, thanks for the credit on Brocket. It was my million dollar idea that I just couldn't figure out how to get the million out of. Anyway, we need a picture of the perfect $800 bag after reading how great it is!!?? Signed, one of the Bugg women (Joy, aka LoveRuby).

Lisa P said...

Love your mom's sympathetic comment it made me giggle all morning.

Portia said...

Lisa!! I think it is a little dangerous living in Vegas seeing all the great stuff.. for lots of moolah!! $800.00!! Crazy.. I think my biggest problem with an 800 dollar purse is I would be afraid to use and abuse it like I do my purses.. maybe someday after sippy cups that leak, treats that spill and all that jazz that comes with kids! :)
Miss you and your fam Lisa and hope you guys have a happy Easter and Conference weekend! :)

Kelli said...

It's me, Brody's mom. I LOVE your blog!!!
I caught my two year old putting her princess phone in her swimsuit top last summer. Like mother, like daughter I guess. My mom kept EVERYTHING in her bra.
I used to use a scripture carrier because no purses worked for me, but then I found THE PERFECT PURSE at Goodwill of all places. Brand new, leather, and $5.00!
I don't think I'll ever wear a watch. I don't need one...I can just peek down my shirt at my phone.